Current Job Openings
Group Leader – Molecular Screening
Location: San Diego, California-San Diego 92121
Position Type: Full-Time, Regular
Required Education: PhD
Area(s) of expertise desired: Molecular Biology and Screening
Job Code: MB1820
Cibus is a biotechnology company with advanced technologies to precisely target and direct a plant’s natural gene-editing processes. This approach accelerates natural plant breeding that has been a staple of farming for thousands of years and has resulted in a rapid, versatile and low-cost way to improve nutrition, increase crop yields, and reducing waste.
The company has a worldwide presence, with subsidiaries in Europe and North America and a state-of-the-art research and development center in San Diego. Cibus has launched its first commercial product, SU Canola™, and has a pipeline to traits for canola, rice, flax, and potato. The broad applicability of Cibus’ technologies is highlighted by the company’s strain-advancement program, which develops sustainable products in microbial platforms for the food, flavor and fragrance, and personal care markets.
We have an immediate opening for a Group Leader – Molecular Screening who can help us to revolutionize plant breeding and trait development using our unique, patented RTDS™ gene editing technology to produce sustainable industrial and agricultural products and improve human health by safely harnessing Nature’s own genetic diversity. The position requires a Ph.D. degree or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, Plant Biology, or related field with a minimum of 8+ years of experience working in a research and/or development environment; post-doctoral work may serve as experience. Alternatively, a BA/BS degree with 15+ years of experience or a MA/MS degree with 12+ years of experience is required.
The successful applicant will lead Cibus’ automated high-throughput molecular screening platform supporting its patented RTDSTM gene editing technology. The Group Leader – Molecular Screening will oversee a team of 4-6 researchers, ranging from entry level Research Assistants to Ph.D. level Scientists, who provide molecular screening support for Cibus R&D laboratory activities, including RTDS gene editing development and product applications. Responsibilities include overseeing all aspects of assay development including wet lab, computational, and automation workflows, ensuring day to day screening and resource requirements are met, defining and implementing team objectives, managing external interactions with service providers, enabling career development success for both direct and indirect reports, as well as helping to build and implement a long-term technology vision for the automated screening platform. The Group Leader will integrate with other functional teams to assess project needs, determine scientific direction, and ensure milestone achievement. This position offers an excellent opportunity for the successful applicant to broadly influence at all levels of the company from project conception to product development.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a dynamic team to achieve both technical and professional growth success. Leads by example, using positive strategies to establish a professional environment of trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Expertise with a range of molecular screening technologies such as targeted amplicon resequencing, whole genome sequencing (WGS), and other NGS, PCR, and qPCR based SNP detection and RNA expression workflows. Can oversee all aspects of assay development from design to validation, including bioinformatic workflow development and statistical analysis.
- An understanding of modern Gene Editing technologies is beneficial.
- Demonstrated expertise building and/or overseeing automated high-throughput workflows.
- Has a strong sense of enablement and accountability with a demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional teams and achieve success through both direct and indirect influence.
- An independent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions to complex challenges and to improve process efficiency.
- Strong proactive communicator, demonstrated success using both oral and written strategies to communicate project proposals, status, and direction.
- Strong organizational skills and capable of identifying and managing external interactions such as service providers.
- Capable of achieving success in a dynamic and fast-pasted R&D environment, is a strong promoter and implementer of change.
- Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech and/or plant biology environment is desired, but not essential.
The Group Leader – Molecular Screening is a highly visible position within the company and offers an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to lead and influence both basic science and product development using cutting edge gene editing technology.
Cibus provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: MB1820.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.